Sunday, March 17, 2013

Perdita Orgeta and her battle with fabric


When I first heard of Malifaux, I was not interested in it at all. A tabletop miniature game which has no dice but uses a card deck to determine combat results was certainly not appealing at that time. However, as time passed, GW's products' prices sky rocketed, carrying over fifty miniatures around and the extremely long game time has persuaded me into looking at skirmish base games. I am really found of Warmachine and Hordes. I only just played two games with my Trollbloods but I am already down with the game I want to expand into Menoth as well.

Malifaux is sort of a weird choice for me since no one at my local store plays them, or their numbers seems like ants compared to the player base of 40k or Warmahorde. I chose to get some of their miniatures purely from how they looked. I didn't know how they were played or if they were an under powered crew which will get stormed on by everyone. I liked the rugged look emitting from these miniatures, screaming at me to paint them around a Western cowboy theme.

This brings me to my first miniature that I have completed and I tried my best to get the best result. If you are asking yourself, is that breasts I see, the answer is yes, they are.

The technique was actually simply layering up the paints. I have to admit though, I am not entirely happy with the transition smoothness I managed to achieve but I have redone it five times which spread over the course of several hours. It is not the best paint job in the world yet for someone at my level, it is pretty darn good. 

If you want to try it yourself, here is what you do.
1. Base coat with the color you want.
2. Mix in your flesh color with the base coat at a ratio of at least 5:1 (base to flesh). Then thin it down until it is almost at a wash consistency. Be careful not to overload your brush by wiping it off on a piece of paper, tower, clothes, your shirt, your cat, anything.
3. Slowly add more flesh color into the mix as you layer up the colors.
4. Bring the colors up until you almost at only your flesh tone.
5. Dot in the nipples with any color you like but realistically, your flesh tone with a darkish brown, then highlight it with your flesh tone with white, red, or pink
6. Glaze the whole area with a watered down (at least 10:1 paint to water) base color.
7. Optional, if you want, you can add additional shadows with washes.

For those who can't picture it, I posted videos of me using this technique here: www.youtube.com/lazypugpro    

No comments:

Post a Comment